Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Recipe - Jamie Eason: Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

I had forgotten that I enjoy cooking. Now that Jami and I have a nice kitchen, I have been doing a lot more cooking than I have in the last 15 years of apartment living (living mostly alone).

One thing that's important to me is to use easy, quick recipes for healthy meals - stuff that can be eaten on the run or as a quick snack - but high protein, low-carbs, and good fats. This recipe fits with my current experiment with doing Paleo about 85% of the time in my diet.

I got this recipe from Bodybuilding.com and made them yesterday - turned out good, nicely spiced. But I will likely make some changes.

Since I am using a gas oven, I might need to cook them a little less (maybe 35 minutes instead of 40), and I also want to try using a whole egg or two (free range, omega-3 fortified) to make them a little more moist.


Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

Jamie Eason: Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
3 egg whites
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dry yellow mustard
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 celery stalks (finely chopped)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
3. Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
5. Bake for 40 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

One muffin:
Calories: 80
Fats: 2 grams
Carbs: 4 grams
Protein: 11 grams

Serving Size:
Women: 2 muffins
Men: 4 muffins


No comments: