- Colin Farrelly (Queen's): Patriarchy and Historical Materialism.
- Chandrakala Padia (BHU): Resisting Logocentrism: Mainstreaming the Gender.
- From Qualitative Sociology Review, Annalisa Murgia (Trento): "Flexible Narratives": Discursive Positionings of Gender and Identity in Precarious Times; Jeni Loftus (Purdue) and Paul Namaste (PHE): "Expectant Mothers": Women’s Infertility and the Potential Identity of Biological Motherhood; and a review of Erotic Mentoring: Women’s Transformations in the University by Janice Hocker Rushing.
- The reality of sexist abuse online: Female bloggers speak out about misogynist comments, rape threats and death threats.
- A review of Duels and Duets: Why Men and Women Talk So Differently by John L. Locke.
- Battle of the sexes: Traits that help one sex but hurt the other are not sufficient for maintaining genetic variation.
- No, men's magazines aren't written by "rapists": Melissa Petro says to give the guys a break — women are writing and editing these magazines too.
- Why is "white male" the default? Maria Pawlowska wants to know.
- Geoffrey Arnold on how heightism is a social construct based in gender norms.
- Mark Manson on the truth about universal masculinity.
- Gay vs. straight: What’s a sexy man?
- Peter Lawler on what we can learn about courage from the philosopher of manliness Harvey Mansfield.
- A look at 4 evolutionary explanations for modern annoyances.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Bookforum - Positionings of Gender
Yesterday's Bookforum offered up a collection of links on issues related to gender - it's a pretty eclectic mixture of material, sure to please and/or piss off most anyone. Contrary to my usual practice, I've broken these links down into discrete entries for your browsing pleasure.