May 19 2014
- Janell L. Blazovich (St. Thomas), Kirsten A. Cook (Texas Tech), and Murphy Smith (Murray State): Do Ethical Firms Bridge the Gender Gap in CEO Compensation?
- Yinlong Zhang (UTSA), Lawrence Feick (Pittsburgh), and Vikas Mittal (Rice): How Males and Females Differ in Their Likelihood of Transmitting Negative Word of Mouth.
- Marcus Dittrich (CUT): Gender Differences in Strategic Reasoning.
- Catherine Ruth Pakaluk and Joseph Burke (Ave Maria): The New Battle of the Sexes: A 2 X 2 Model of Female Alienation.
- Rena Bivens (Carleton): The Gender Binary Will Not Be Deprogrammed: Facebook's Antagonistic Relationship to Gender.
- Aya Gruber (Colorado): Neofeminism.
- Zachary A. Kramer (ASU): The New Sex Discrimination.
- Henriette Prast (Tilburg), Mariacristina Rossi (Turin), Costanza Torricelli (UNIMORE), and Cristina Druta (Maastricht): Do Women Prefer Pink? The Effect of a Gender Stereotypical Stock Portfolio on Investing Decisions.
- Marcia Angell reviews The XX Factor: How the Rise of Working Women Has Created a Far Less Equal World by Alison Wolf.
- Gender and neoliberalism: Christina Scharff on exploring the exclusions and contours of neoliberal subjectivities.
- Sex, culture and justice: Clare Chambers interviewed by Richard Marshall.
- The confidence gap: Evidence shows that women are less self-assured than men — and that to succeed, confidence matters as much as competence; Katty Kay and Claire Shipman on why and what to do about it.
- Allison Kopicki on women and the “I don’t know” problem.
- Charts of the day, female risk-aversion edition.
- Girls’ ascendance in academic settings may portend a shift in the relative pay of men and women — but a change in social norms is needed, too.
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
The Gender Binary (Omnivore)
From Bookforum's Omnivore blog, a new collection of links looking at the gender binary (and Facebook's "antagonistic relationship to gender), the gender gap in pay, and variations on gender differences and gender essentialism.