Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cooking Is Half Chemistry and Half Art - A New Chicken and Pumpkin Recipe

And I'm not very good at either. But I like to try. And I usually try to come up with something healthy and densely nutritious - more quality per serving.

Tonight I started out with . . .
  • two 16 oz cans of organic pumpkin
  • one large (or two small) organic Fuji apple, sliced and diced
  • one 8 oz bag of black beluga lentils (already cooked)
  • 1.5 to 2 lbs of broiled free-range, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (shredded)
All the solid stuff goes into a skillet on low heat. Then the fun begins.

I suck at cooking because I add spices to taste (my taste), and I don't measure or write anything down. It's really hard to replicate a given formula.

Tonight's spices are Indian, focused on curry and cinnamon, in what I am guessing is the order of quantity (most to least):
  • yellow curry mixture
  • cinnamon
  • red curry mixture
  • pumpkin pie spice
  • stevia
  • garlic powder
  • Garam Masala seasoning
  • cumin
  • turmeric
  • ground pepper
  • yellow mustard
  • sea salt
The overall flavor has a little fire, a little spice, and a little sweet. I served it to myself over about one-half cup of wild rice blend.


Lots of healthy complex carbs per serving, as well as a lot of fiber (between the lentils and the pumpkin), and about 20-25 grams of protein per serving. I like the sweet crunchy apple with the spicy curry. I doubt Jami will like it, but I like it a lot - so more for me.

One change for next time - I might add a tablespoon or two of organic almond butter to get some healthy fats and a little of the flavor of the almonds.


No comments: