- Mark Malaby and Benson Green (Ball State): Playing in the Fields of Desire: Hegemonic Masculinity in Live Combat LARPS.
- Back off, masculinity patrol: Decades after women were allowed to wear pants and play sports, the culture is finally expanding its definition of masculinity.
- A review of The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys by David Benatar.
- Are men who don't want to be men really necessary?
- A review of The Richer Sex: How the New Majority of Female Breadwinners Is Transforming Sex, Love and Family by Liza Mundy.
- Who wears the pants in this economy? Welcome to the new middle-class matriarchy.
- Masculinity and mass violence: Elizabeth Drescher on the “intimate enemy” we refuse to name.
- A review of The End of Men: And the Rise of Women by Hanna Rosin (and more and more and more).
- A review of Enlisting Masculinity: The Construction of Gender in U.S. Military Recruiting Advertising During the All-Volunteer Force by Melissa Brown.
- From Ms. Magazine blog, is Ryan Gosling a feminist?
- Kaylia Payne on why we need to avoid feminist men.
- (Re)creating multiple masculinities: A look at Hamish Crocket’s ultimate frisbee.
- Here is a photo history of male affection.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Bookforum Omnivore - Back Off, Masculinity Patrol
Last week, Bookforum's Omnivore blog (thematic collections of links posted several times each day) featured a collection of links related to masculinity. There are some really interesting articles in this collection, including one on avoiding feminist men (or not) and one what to do with men who don't want to be men (actually a reply to a NY Times op-ed about men being no longer necessary). Enjoy.