Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Betting Man - Tom Matlack Talks to Disgraced NBA Referee Tim Donaghy

http://donenriko.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/donaghy.jpg

Tom Matlack talks to disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy about betting on games he refereed, gambling in America, and the road to recovery and redemption. Interesting.

Here is the introduction to the interview.
My column (and this magazine, for that matter) isn’t about Hollywood images of manhood. I will certainly write about and interview plenty of guys marines to athletes to guys working in the trenches of poverty and abuse. But to me, manhood and goodness are not about getting it right from the you’re going to do about it.

As my grandmother told me when I called her shortly after being tossed out of the house fourteen years ago for being a drunk and a liar, “Tom, it’s not how you fall in life that counts; it’s how you pick yourself up.”

So when I say everyone has a story, I mean everyone. I am particularly interested in guys who made huge mistakes in their lives. Are they now following my grandmother’s advice? To me, manhood is about redemption. It’s about admitting you screwed up. I’m always willing to listen to guys who others might criticize me for talking to, even just to learn what not to do.
I am generally impressed with anyone who effs up and learns from the experience - but to do so on a grand, and very public, scale takes a lot of courage.

Read the whole interview at Scribd, or read it below.


No comments: